Burning chip pan thrown from 12th floor Sheffield flat

Crawshaw Block

Crawshaw Block

0
Have your say

FIREFIGHTERS have renewed calls to ditch chip pans after a Sheffield man suffered burns when he threw the blazing cookware from his 12th-floor flat.

The man, in his 30s, had to be taken to hospital after the fire - the sixth of its kind to hit South Yorkshire in just two days - at his property in Crawshaw Block, Mitchell Street, Crookesmoor.

The man and his female partner had been cooking chips in a small utility room on Thursday, at about 8.15pm, but became distracted by the television and the unattended pan caught fire.

He initially attempted to put it out with a damp tea towel.

However, when that failed he grabbed the burning item and threw it out of the window of his flat, more than 100ft up, onto the street below.

Fire crews attended the scene, but the incident had been dealt with by the time they arrived.

The man received first aid for superficial burns and was later taken to hospital to be checked over. No-one else was injured, but the flat was left badly smoke damaged.

Firefighters said it was the six kitchen fire in South Yorkshire in two days, with others including a cooker fire in Fern View Grove in Hackenthorpe on Thursday at 5.30pm and a cooker fire in Mount Street, Sharrow the previous day.

The incidents comes as South Yorkshire Fire & Rescue attempts to combat the number of cooking-related blazes through its Kitchen Nightmares campaign.

The service tackled 300 kitchen fires last year, resulting in 30 people requiring hospital treatment.

It is calling on members of the public to ditch old-fashioned, often dangerous chip pans in favour of deep fat fryers or oven chips.

A service spokesman said: “Cooking remains the biggest cause of accidental fires in the home.

“Once again this highlights the risks of using a chip pan. We would always advise people to throw out their chip pans and replace them with a thermostat-controlled deep fat fryer.”