BREAKING: Murdered Sheffield girl, 3, is named

Crime:Latest news.
Crime:Latest news.
Have your say

THE three-year-old girl murdered in Sheffield has been named this afternoon as Lylah Aaron.

The Star successfully applied to magistrates to lift a court order forbidding the identification of the girl.

Delroy Catwell, aged 30, of Beck Road, Shiregreen, who is charged with Lylah’s murder, appeared at Sheffield Magistrates’ Court this morning for a three minute hearing.

Dressed in a blue T-shirt and blue trousers, he spoke only to confirm his name, date of birth, and address.

He was flanked by two security guards as he stood in the dock.

The case was transferred to Sheffield Crown Court, and Catwell was remanded in custody.

Catwell was arrested after an ambulance was called to Beck Road on Friday night.

Lylah was taken to Sheffield Children’s Hospital where she died at approximately 12.20am on Saturday.

Anyone with information about the incident is asked to contact South Yorkshire Police on 101.

Neighbours living near the property, which is taped off and under police guard, told The Star they were stunned.

Margaret Caulfield, aged 67, who has lived on Beck Road for over 40 years, said: “We knew there had been something serious because of all the police cars and vans we saw, but we didn’t know what had happened.

“To find out a young child has died is awful - shocking.

“I have lived here 40-odd years and never known anything as serious as this. It will shock everyone.”

Alan McKenna, 53, also of Beck Road, said: “I drove past and saw the police and all the tape and wondered what had happened.

“I lost my mother last Tuesday, but she was 89 so it’s more expected at that age, but to die at three is terrible - what can you say?

“You just don’t expect that kind of thing.”

Another neighbour, who did not want to be named, said: “The first I knew of anything was when I saw a police car which has been there ever since.

“At one point all the area outside the house was taped off too so you couldn’t get near the house.

“It was the not knowing which was worrying - the police didn’t tell anybody anything, which is when you get lots of speculation.”

Shiregreen councillor Sioned-Mair Richards told The Star her thoughts are with the girl’s family.

“It is a tragedy to lose a child at any age,” she said. “Shiregreen is the kind of community where everyone knows each other, and I am sure everyone will offer lots of support.”

Fellow councillor Peter Rippon said locals were ‘shocked and saddened’.

He added: “The whole community’s thoughts will be with this little girl’s family today.”

Police were stationed outside the house in a patrol car, and in the gennel at the side of the property.

Officers spent the weekend at the house, carrying out door-to-door inquiries and asking residents if they had seen or heard anything suspicious.