Businessman died after park robbery - court

Mr Anthony Power.
Mr Anthony Power.
Have your say

A SHEFFIELD businessman was kicked and stamped as he searched for his brother, who suffers from dementia, in a city park, a murder case jury heard this week.

Anthony Power’s attacker made off with the keys to his Bentley car, which was parked near High Hazels Park in Darnall.

Imran Khan, aged 30, is accused at Sheffield Crown Court of killing the 78-year-old founder of top lingerie firm Panache. Mr Power died in hospital on October 26 - 18 days after he was found in the park.

Khan is alleged to have escaped with cash and the car keys, and was found at the wheel of the Bentley minutes later.

Mr Power’s glasses, teeth, wallet and shoes were found scattered around him in the wake of the assault, the court was told.

Prosecuting, Simon Waley said: “Mr Power suffered facial injuries caused by repeated punches, kicks, stamps or a combination of all three.

“Forensic evidence suggests he was at or near ground level for most of the attack. His movement suggests he was doing his best to get away from the attacker.”

Members of Mr Power’s family went to the park and alerted police when his brother, Noel, who suffers from dementia and lived near the park, went missing. Noel was found and taken home, and police later found Mr Power on grass near a footpath, at 9pm

He had suffered bleeding and bruising to his brain resulting in “catastrophic brain damage”.

The prosecution said Mr Power’s niece, Cheriene Bailey, saw Khan sitting in the Bentley. When she challenged him, he got out and walked off.

The court heard that Khan went on to assault Zoe Gilliband, who was working as a prostitute in the Neepsend area of the city, later that night before turning up at the home of his ex-girlfriend and smashing her windows.

Mr Waley said: “He told his ex-girlfriend ‘I’ve just beaten someone up, I’m getting 12 years’.”

Witness Sajaad Rashid, who appeared in court via a videolink, told the court he had been drinking with Khan on a bench earlier that evening before he was punched by the defendant.

Khan, of Handsworth Road, Darnall, had previously pleaded not guilty to two counts of battery on Mr Rashid and Miss Gillibrand in the hours before and after the attack on Mr Power, but he admitted both as the court case began on Tuesday. He denies murder.

Mr Power, a grandfather and father-of-four, who lived in Bradway, set up Panache in 1982. When he stepped down as managing director in 2007, his son, John, took over. The trial continues.