Curry deaths lead to workshop in Sheffield for Indian chefs and restaurant owners

A leading curry industry magazine is to host a workshop in Sheffield today to highlight health and safety issues following some deaths from diners suffering allergic reactions to their food.

Curry Life Magazine is hosting the event at DoubleTree by Hilton in Sheffield city centre for Indian curry chefs and restaurateurs in Yorkshire.

Those behind to workshop say there are around 10 deaths a year caused by food allergies.

New legislation means Indian restaurant owners have to inform customers if any of the top 14 food allergens are used on their menus.

Syed Ahmed, Editor of Curry Life, said: “Curry Life is widely regarded as the voice of curry industry in Great Britain.

“We are particularly concerned about two tragic deaths due to nut allergy in the Yorkshire region and this is why we are organising this workshop to raise awareness and hope to get positive response from restaurants and takeaways across the region for this great learning opportunity.”

Paul Wilson, aged 38, from Sheffield, died after suffering a fatal allergic reaction to peanuts after eating a curry.

Mohammed Zaman, 52, owner of the Indian Garden in Easingwold, North Yorkshire, where he bought the food has been charged with manslaughter by gross negligence and perverting the course of justice by forging a food safety certificate.