SOUTH YORKSHIRE: Campaigners win fight over railway plans

News: Sheffield Telegraph online 24-hours a day.
News: Sheffield Telegraph online 24-hours a day.

PLANS to convert old railway arches into shops and build housing which campaigners feared could jeopardise chances of reopening the old Woodhead railway from Sheffield to Manchester have been rejected.

Barnsley Council said there was ‘lack of detail’ in the plans for the old coal drops area in the centre of Penistone.

Campaigners who want the railway reopened and Penistone and Stocksbridge MP Angela Smith were alarmed because plans showed the scheme would encroach on old railway land, leaving the Trans Pennine Cycleway, which runs on the former line, in a narrow corridor.

They feared the area left would not be wide enough to reinstate a railway line.

Barnsley Council said there would have been sufficient room - but that the plans had been rejected over concerns surrounding use of the arches, which are listed structures.

South Yorkshire Archaeology Service had raised concerns about potential impact of the development.

A council spokesman said: “The issue in this case is considered to be the lack of detail contained in the application.”

Meanwhile, details of a ‘masterplan’ which could change the face of a picturesque Sheffield village are to face further scrutiny before being considered for approval after a series of formal objections.

Wharncliffe Estates, which owns much of the land and property in Wortley, north of Sheffield, has drawn up the blueprint which includes new houses, offices, workshops and a new road layout.

The plans have now been revised to try to resolve opposition to certain aspects, including a one-way scheme and car park.

Barnsley Council will discuss the proposals on Tuesday. Officers have recommended they are approved.