Fire crews rescue tot stuck in a cot

Lucky: Young Laura Harabin was saved by firefighters after becoming trapped in the bars of her cot.                 Picture: Stuart Hastings.
Lucky: Young Laura Harabin was saved by firefighters after becoming trapped in the bars of her cot. Picture: Stuart Hastings.

A STRICKEN toddler from Sheffield had to be rescued by firefighters after getting her leg stuck in between the bars of her cot.

Little Laura Harabin, aged two, from Bowden Wood Drive, Manor, was playing with her toys when her leg became wedged between the bars.

The youngster shouted for help from her mum Joanna who came rushing up to her room.

She struggled for more than 15 minutes to free her daughter’s leg but no matter what she tried she couldn’t budge little Laura’s limb.

Joanna, who is Polish, told The Star she wasn’t sure what to do for the best.

She said: “She was crying and no matter what I tried I just couldn’t free her.

“I couldn’t leave her as no one else was in the house, so I called the police and explained what had happened.

“They said ‘don’t worry we’ll send someone round’.

“Just a few minutes later a big red fire car, I think you might call it a fire engine, arrived with four firemen.”

Darnall Station watch manager Phil Hall said: “A little girl was caught in her cot, we just used a special tool to spread the bars and get her out.

“Luckily she was okay. The rescue took us about ten minutes but she had been stuck in there for about half an hour.”

A grateful Joanna said: “The firemen were very nice and soon had Laura free.

“She was quite upset but when they got her out they showed her their big red fire car and Laura was very happy.”

Since her ordeal Laura and her nine-year-old sister Sandra have been writing letters to Santa.

Said Joanna: “Luckily everything turned out well.

“Laura is just hoping Santa does not get stuck up our chimney.”