HER husband died of asbestos-related cancer just weeks before he was due to retire.
Now Christine Horsfield is appealing to husband Roger’s former colleagues to help with an investigation into where he came into contact with the deadly dust.
Roger, from Newfield Green, Sheffield, died of lung cancer in October 2010, aged 65, leaving Christine and two daughters distraught. An inquest found evidence of asbestos exposure, which the coroner found was likely to have contributed to his lung cancer, recording a verdict of death due to industrial disease.
Now Christine has asked experts at law firm Irwin Mitchell to investigate where her husband came into contact with asbestos dust during his career as a plumber and heating engineer.
Roger worked as a plumber at Sheffield Corporation Public Works Department from 1961 to 1967, Foster Wheeler from 1967 to 1969, and Eric C Flower Ltd from 1968 to 1995.
Lawyers would like to speak to former colleagues who can give evidence about working conditions and contact with asbestos.
Christine, aged 62, said: “Roger and I thought we had many happy years of retirement ahead of us and my daughters and I have been left devastated by his death.
“We had so much we still wanted to do together.
“He had difficulty breathing and suffered greatly due to his illness before he eventually passed away. It was heartbreaking.
“Nothing can bring him back to us, but we just want to get to the bottom of where he was exposed to asbestos.”
Simone Hardy, workplace illness specialist at Irwin Mitchell’s Sheffield office, said: “I’d like to hear from anyone who worked at the companies and knew Roger.”
■ If you can help, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0870 150 0100