A grandfather who nearly lost his life after suffering allergic reactions to wasp venom has thanked the Sheffield unit that changed his life.
A grandfather who nearly lost his life after suffering an allergic reaction to wasp venom has been cured of the allergy which left him too scared to go outside.
Ian Peake, from Broomhill, struggled for decades because of his fear of getting stung by wasps after suffering two near fatal reactions.
The first sting occurred in 2000 while Ian, aged 68, was in his garden and resulted in a massive reaction and anaphylactic shock.
Luckily, Ian’s neighbour, who is a doctor, treated him at the scene before he was rushed to Sheffield’s Northern General Hospital where he required emergency resuscitation.
The second sting happened ten years later and caused the same alarmingly severe reaction.
Ian said: “From the first sting in 2000, my lifestyle was restricted enormously.
“While I always carried an epipen, an adrenaline injection, I knew this would be difficult to administer whilst on my own and unconscious. I spent much of the summers indoors.”
However, Ian’s life was transformed after he received innovative treatment at the Clinical Immunology and Allergy Unit at the Northern General Hospital to cure him of his allergy.
Dr Ravi Sargur, a consultant in immunology, said: “Sheffield Teaching Hospitals is one of the very few hospitals in the UK which has a dedicated allergy unit to provide this kind of treatment which teaches the immune system to behave differently and not to react the way it did previously.
“It involves a total of 31 injections, giving tiny amounts of wasp venom below the skin to start with and slowly increasing it with each injection over three years to a venom strength equivalent to two wasp stings.”
Ian added: “I’m extremely grateful for the help I received from the unit. Life for myself and my family has returned to normal, I’m able to eat outside and go out in garden, without fear.”