Hero schoolboy brings pet dog back from dead by blowing up his nose

Dean Allen, 14, who saved the life of his family pet  Bronk Terrier who got into trouble after diving into the river Ryton

Dean Allen, 14, who saved the life of his family pet Bronk Terrier who got into trouble after diving into the river Ryton

0
Have your say

Schoolboy Dean Allen risked his life as he jumped into a river to save his pet dog from drowning and then brought him back from dead - by blowing up his nose.

Bronk the Staffordshire bull terrier was lifeless when 15-year-old Dean hauled him clear of the water and onto the river bank.

But Dean brought his pet back from the dead by pumping his chest and breathing life back into him, lessons he learned from first aid classes.

Seconds later 10-year-old Bronk was breathing again after Dean had blown up his nose time and again to resuscitate him.

Nigel Smallwood, of Peak Vets in Sheffield, said: “This is the first case I’ve come across where CPR has been carried out on an animal and it appears to have saved Bronk.

“Dean acted very quickly and to good effect. Bronk had swallowed water and was coughing up bloodstained fluid when he was brought in.

“He was put in an oxygen tent overnight, his breathing improved and he was given antibiotics and allowed home.”

Dean was with a friend walking beside the River Ryton near his Worksop home, when Bronk, jumped in.

The teenager dived into the river to grab the drowning dog but Bronk’s lead became entangled with debris.

“Bronk was by my side but he saw another dog by the river bank and suddenly jumped into the water,” said Dean, a pupil at Worksop’s Portland School.

“The lead was still around his neck and he went under water. I didn’t stop to think, I just jumped in and swam over to him but his lead was caught, so I tried to get him free and eventually I was able to pull him up.

“He didn’t appear to be breathing. I’ve been going to first aid classes with St John Ambulance since October, and I’ve learnt how to give CPR so I just went through the procedure.

“This was the first time I have ever had to put it into practise.”

Dean’s mum Julie, 47, said: “I am just so proud of my son. Bronk was under for a long time, when my son eventually got him out, he was lifeless so he had to start pumping his chest.”

“Bronk threw up some water and it saved his life.”