DCSIMG

Sheffield fire family offered new home

Richard Hobson who died in house fire on Poplar Avenue in Beighton

Richard Hobson who died in house fire on Poplar Avenue in Beighton

A family left homeless after a fatal blaze has been offered a new home.

Kathleen Hobson, aged 88 and her daughter Anne, lost their home when a blaze ripped through their rented house on Poplar Avenue, Beighton.

Richard Hobson – Kathleen’s son and Anne’s brother – was asleep in his room when the fire took hold and never heard his terrified mother’s screams when she tried to alert him to the blaze.

The fire started downstairs and prevented anyone from getting upstairs.

A fire service investigation discovered a faulty heater sparked the blaze.

Kathleen, who had lived in her home for over 60 years, and Anne lost everything in the fire

They feared they would have to move away from Beighton until their landlord revealed he had another property on a nearby street which he is willing to rent to the family.

Richard’s niece, Louise Edwards, 33, who launched an appeal for items to help her grandmother and aunt set up home again, said they had been overwhelmed with donations.

“We had a really, really good response from the local community - people have offered to donate everything from clothes to household items to help my grandma and aunt set up home again, so we are really grateful to everyone” she said.

“We had all been worried that they would have to move away from Beighton but their landlord has been doing up a property just around the corner and he has offered it to them.

“The last house was gutted and there is no way they could ever have gone back there after what happened.”

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page