Sir Cliff Richard has been interviewed under caution by South Yorkshire Police detectives investigating a sex crime claim involving a young boy.
The veteran star voluntarily met members of South Yorkshire Police at their premises yesterday, and was not arrested or charged.
South Yorkshire police confirmed it had spoken to a 73-year-old man.
A police spokesman said: “The man was interviewed under caution but was not arrested. He entered South Yorkshire Police premises by arrangement.”
The singer’s Berkshire apartment was searched by police last week as part of the investigation into an alleged sexual assault at a religious event in 1985.
A spokesman for Sir Cliff said last night: “Today Sir Cliff Richard voluntarily met with and was interviewed by members of South Yorkshire Police. He was not arrested or charged.
“He co-operated fully with officers and answered the questions put to him. Other than restating that this allegation is completely false and that he will continue to co-operate fully with the police, it would not be appropriate for Sir Cliff to say anything further at this time.”
Sir Cliff was in Portugal when the search took place on August 14.
Meanwhile the BBC has been accused of a “cover-up” over its role in the raid by officers from South Yorkshire and Thames Valley police.
South Yorkshire police chief constable David Crompton claimed the corporation appeared to “distance itself from what had happened” after it broadcast the raid on the pop star’s penthouse.
The BBC, which had a film crew on the scene, broke the news of the search but has been heavily criticised for its handling of the story.
Mr Crompton said the BBC’s misleading and inaccurate portrayal of its involvement in what happened led to the force making a formal complaint.
Lord Hall has insisted that BBC journalists “acted appropriately” in its coverage of the story.