SLIDESHOW: Funeral of Sheffield fire victims held

Waiting for Video...

A woman who lost her mother, sister and three nieces and nephews in a tragic house fire in Sheffield said today her mother made the ‘ultimate sacrifice’ trying to save her loved ones.

Nazia Parwaiz Kayani, aged 32, wept as she spoke at the Masjid Mosque on Wolseley Road ahead of the family’s funerals which took place this afternoon.

Describing the ‘selfless heroism’ of her ‘beloved mother’ Shabina Begum, aged 54, Nazia said: “She went back into the house to try and rescue the family that she adored.

“She made the ultimate sacrifice.

“You have gone from our lives but you will never be forgotten.”

Sobbing, she added: “My beautiful mum, my beautiful little sister and my little baby niece and nephews.

“May Allah bless them all and grant them eternal peace.”

Nazia’s father Sultan Parvaiz Kayani, aged 61, wept as his daughter paid tribute to his wife.

Mrs Begum, her three grandchildren, Adyan Parwaiz Kayani, aged nine, his seven-year-old brother Amaan, their nine-week-old sister Minahil and their aunt, Mrs Begum’s daughter, Anum Parwaiz, 20, died after a blaze broke out at their home in Wake Road, Nether Edge, last Monday.

Over 2,500 mourners gathered for the funeral at the Masjid Mosque today.

Nazia said: “We would like to express our heartfelt gratitude for the overwhelming support shown by our extended family, friends, neighbours and the people of Sheffield at a time of immense grief and utter shock at losing five of our dearly loved family members.

“We would like to express our appreciation to South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue and the paramedic teams for their exhaustive efforts on that tragic night.
“We would like to thank the police for the respectful and sensitive manner in which they have conducted the investigation.

“We would also like to acknowledge the bravery of our cousin, who risked his own life to try and rescue the family, and thank him for his efforts.

She added: “We are devastated by the loss of our beloved family and their untimely passing has left an unimaginable void in our lives forever.

“We hope with the passage of time the shock may subside and the pain ease.

“We will always cherish their precious memories with heavy hearts.”

This morning a three-car cortege - containing the adult coffins in two separate hearses and the children’s coffins in a third – visited the scene of the tragedy.

Family and friends gathered on the street and many struggled to hold back their heartbreak when the hearses arrived.

There were heartbreaking scenes as men and women, clutching flowers, wept loudly as the funeral cortege pulled up outside the Kayani family home.

Members of the family said prayers and sang as they made their way down the cortege, stopping at each hearse and touching the windows to pay their last respects.

The coffins were draped in heavily embroidered blankets.

Dozens of floral tributes and candles remain outside the family home.

One resident who came out to say goodbye said: “It’s just so incredibly sad.”

The mosque which was packed with mourners.

Around 300 stood outside to listen to the proceedings via loudspeakers.

The service comprised of Islamic and Urdu readings, as well as some in English, and traditional prayers and song.

The burial took place afterwards at City Road Cemetery.

Speaking ahead of the service, Waheed Akhtar, chairman of Madina Mosque, said the family had been residing at the mosque and today was the first time they had been home.

Mr Akhtar said: “This is a very difficult and traumatic time for the family.

“It’s been very emotional on Wake Road and emotional at the mosque.”

It is believed that Nazim Parwaiz Kayani, the children’s father, was at work as a taxi driver when the fire broke out, while their mother, Razia Nazim Kayani, was in the house but escaped the blaze.

A police and fire service investigation into how the fire started is ongoing but it is not believed to be suspicious.




Back to the top of the page