Lucky escape after Sheffield kitchen blaze drama

Fire damage to Emily McGeoch's kitchen in Sheffield
Fire damage to Emily McGeoch's kitchen in Sheffield

A SHEFFIELD woman whose home caught fire after she left plastic chopping boards on top of a grill is backing a fire safety campaign.

Emily McGeoch, aged 23, from Hunters Bar, discovered flames shooting from her grill after she left it unattended for just a few seconds at her house near Ecclesall Road.

Emily, who owns a hobby and models store in the city centre, was not injured in the blaze but said the incident has made her think more carefully about kitchen dangers.

Backing South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service’s Kitchen Nightmares campaign, she said: “I got quite a shock when I turned round and saw all the flames.

“It caused damage to the grill and left thick black smoke marks all the way up the wall.

“I’ll certainly be much more careful from now on.

“If I hadn’t spotted the blaze when I did it could have been much more serious, and it’s left me with a big clean-up job afterwards.”

The fire service has launched the campaign after there were more than 300 cooking-related fires in South Yorkshire last year - injuring 75 people.

The average cost of damage caused by a kitchen fire is estimated to be around £25,000.

Firefighters are urging residents to keep electrical leads and fabrics away from the hob and never use a chip pan, keep an eye on cooking at all times and switch off cooking appliances after cooking and before going to bed.

And fire service bosses have launched the Kitchen Nightmares quiz on its Facebook page as part of a campaign to reduce kitchen fires.

Residents who answer five questions about the most common causes of kitchen fires will be in with a chance of winning £200 in supermarket vouchers, provided by the Co-op.

n Visit www.facebook.com/southyorkshirefire to enter the quiz.