Lucky escape for Sheffield man as cigarette starts fire in bed he was sleeping in

Fire in Worksop

Fire in Worksop

0
Have your say

A Sheffield man had a lucky escape after a cigarette started a fire in the bed he was sleeping in.

He was alerted to the blaze by his smoke alarm going off and was able to get out of his flat as the fire spread.

Firefighters were called out at 00.35am this morning to a first floor flat on Emerson Crescent, Parson Cross.

A spokesman for South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service said the occupier, a man in his 20s, had gone to bed but left a cigarette burning.

The man was woken up by his smoke alarm to find his bed on fire.

He went to get some water to put it out but by the time he got back to the room, the fire had intensified.

The fire service were called, with crews from Elm Lane, Rivelin and Darnall attending.

The flat was left with extensive fire damage to the bedroom and heat and smoke damage to the rest of the flat.