November 10 1976: Sheffield’s first Chinese restaurant

Rickshaw Restaurant, Devonshire Street and the junction with Broomhall Street, Sheffield. '10th November 1976
Rickshaw Restaurant, Devonshire Street and the junction with Broomhall Street, Sheffield. '10th November 1976

As we welcome the Year of the Horse, it has been noted that the number of restaurants opening up in the Devonshire Quarter to cater for the city’s oriental students suggests this area is taking over from London Road as Sheffield’s Chinatown.

Appropriately the city’s first Chinese restaurant, the Rickshaw opened there in 1957 (shortly before The Zing Vaa on the Moor).

Run by Man Gee Wong, it was situated at the junction of Eldon Street and Broomhall Street, near the old Royal Hospital, though this photograph from 1976 is of the by then closed-down second Rickshaw on the corner of Broomhall Street and Devonshire Street and now the site of the Green Room.

Few of today’s students from the Far East would recognise its menu of beef chop suey, chicken chow mein and pineapple fritters.