Sheffield students urged to report safety concerns to landlords

0
Have your say

Students returning to Sheffield or moving to the city for the first time are being urged to report safety concerns to their landlords.

New research from Electrical Safety First, based on interviews with students, has shown negligent landlords and letting agents are failing to address common safety concerns, which could result in fires.

The charity found that nationally one in four students experiences faulty electrics in their private rented accommodation, 37 per cent of landlords failed to fix exposed wiring, 35 per cent failed rectified damp, condensation or flooding around electrics and 30 per cent did not resolve issues around sockets and light fittings.

South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue chiefs said that whilst the standard of rented accommodation for students in Sheffield is generally improving, students should stay vigilant and be bold in reporting any concerns.

Head of community safety, Kevin Ronan, said: “Our message to students is that you shouldn’t have to put up with poor safety standards in your rented property.

“Landlords have a legal duty to ensure that your electrical installation is kept in repair and proper working order. So keep an eye out for constant tripping of fuses, flickering lights and scorching around sockets.

“Most freshers will be living in well managed halls of residence or private student accommodation complexes. But many more returning students will be heading into the private rented sector for the first time and should report any concerns to their landlords to prevent fires.”

He added: Ensure that your property is fitted with a working smoke alarm. Test the alarm upon arrival in your house and again at regular intervals.”