Smoke alarm alerts Sheffield neighbour to pan fire

Oxspring Bank, Sheffield

Oxspring Bank, Sheffield

A smoke alarm alerted the neighbour of a Sheffield man to a fire.

The resident in Oxspring Bank, Wadsley Bridge, had gone to sleep on his sofa after leaving his oven on with a small amount of food in a pan on top of it.

Firefighters were called at 1.30am on Sunday morning to the address by a neighbour who heard the alarm going off.

A spokesman for South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service said there had been a lot of smoke in the property.

The spokesman said the incident showed the importance of having working smoke alarms.