Shoppers in Sheffield have just three days left to use the city centre’s FreeBee bus service before it is axed as a victim of budget cuts.
The route’s last day of service is on Saturday, before a raft of timetable changes comes into force across South Yorkshire on Sunday and Monday.
But visitors to Rotherham will still be able to use a FreeBee bus, by boarding a service set to run every 20 minutes between the town’s bus station and Parkgate Shopping Park, calling at St Ann’s Leisure Centre.
The bus, operated by Powells, is now being funded for two years after a £236,000 investment from Parkgate’s owners, Hercules Unit Trust.
Free buses in Sheffield and Rotherham were previously subsidised by South Yorkshire Passenger Transport Executive.
Earlier this year traders at Sheffield’s Moor Market voiced fears that losing the service could put off customers.
When the building opened, a new stop-off point was introduced on the free route nearby.
A spokesperson for the transport executive said: “FreeBee bus users will still be able to get around the city centre, and to and from the new Moor Market, by using one of the many services operating the same or similar routes.”
* Timetable changes to First services 32, 35, 36, 37, 38, 75, 76, 97, 98, 120 and X5. Service 35 will run via Castlegate instead of Waingate, and service 38 will be extended from Hillsborough to Sheffield city centre with most journeys no longer stopping at Hillsborough Interchange.
* Timetable changes to Stagecoach services 43/A, 44/A, 50/A, 53, 71, 83/A, 88, 123, and SL. Services 83/A and 88 from Ecclesfield/Smithy Wood will be re-routed in the city centre between the Wicker and Bank Street.
* Service 123 re-routed and re-timed to serve Granville Road and the Moor Market.
* The service 123 from Holbrook at 5.57am Monday to Friday towards the city centre and Royal Hallamshire Hospital has been renumbered as 122, with no change to route or times. Evening and Sunday journeys on service 71 re-routed between Killamarsh and Norwood, renumbered 71A.
* Timetable changes to TM Travel services 31/A, 38, 123 and 218. The 6.25am Monday to Friday service 218 will be diverted to call at Chatsworth House, and service 123 will be re-routed and re-timed to serve the Moor Market.
* Sheffield Community Transport service 5 will run via Castlegate instead of Waingate.
* Minor timetable changes to First services 32, 33, and X5.
* Timetable changes to Redline services 37/A, 46, 48 and 58/A.
* Minor timetable changes to First services 14, 16, 50/A, 55/B, 58, 65, 66, 71, 72, 73, 87, 91, 638 and X91, and Stagecoach service 22. Journeys after 6pm on service 58 will be replaced by journeys on service 55B. Service 71 will be re-routed to operate between Doncaster and Hexthorpe only. The peaktime 638 park-and-ride service will be withdrawn on Sunday.