VIDEO: Sheffield Town Hall evacuated after overheating roller shutter causes smoke

5
Have your say

Sheffield Town Hall was evacuated today after smoke caused by an overheating roller shutter motor set off the building’s fire alarm.

The alarm disrupted a party being held for widow Winnie Blagden after an appeal to help celebrate her 100th birthday went viral.

Firefighters from Central and Rivelin stations arrived at the scene shortly after they were called at 10.59am and entered the building.

South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue’s control room said the incident had concerned the motor of a roller shutter on a window but were unsure of the exact location in the town hall.

Fire crews were only there for six minutes and it was likely the small fire had been put out when they arrived.

People attending the party for Winnie said there had been a strong smell of smoke inside the town hall.

Fire control said it was likely that the roller shutter motor had ‘overheated’ and there would be no further investigation.