WARNING: Festive treats could be deadly for your pet dogs

Christmas tree with presents and fireplace with stockings --- Image by � Royalty-Free/Corbis
Christmas tree with presents and fireplace with stockings --- Image by � Royalty-Free/Corbis

Dog owners are being warned that many festive treats this Christmas could be harmful to their four-legged friends.

Yvonne Jarvis, owner of Petpals Sheffield, said a number of foods could be poisonous to dogs and could result in an unwanted trip to the vets over Christmas.

These include:- Chocolate, currants/sultanas/grapes, Christmas pudding and cake, mince pies, alcohol, nuts, blue cheese, onions, mushrooms, yeast, coffee, salt and chewing gum.