Boxing: Neil gatecrashes back into title contention

editorial image
Have your say

Do not invite Neil Dawson to any upcoming parties you might be having.

The Thorpe Hesley cruiserweight is fast gaining a reputation for ruining the records of home-town prospects and the nights of those who back them.

Dawson blasted his way back into British-title contention with a two-round demolition of the previously unbeaten Chris Keane at Walsall Town Hall.

There was little in the fight until a savage left hook in the second round wobbled Keane to his boots, Dawson moved in as bravado took over the home-town man as he foolishly fired back instead of clinging on.

Another left from Dawson almost put Keane through the ropes before he nosedived to the canvas to signal the end of the fight.

The win is just the tonic for Dawson after a below-par showing in Prizefighter saw him lose his mandatory position for Jon Lewis Dickinson’s British title. In the process of the Keane stoppage Dawson regained the WBO International title that he won in December with another shock knockout over the previously well-thought-of Tony Conquest.

Dawson said: “I lost the belt through entering Prizefighter but it has actually worked out good for me. Jon-Lewis is the best in the country but I’m ready to test his chin out. I’ve every chance against him. It’s an honour to be in these sorts of fights.”

Walkley’s Carl Wild returned home from over the Pennines minus his Central Area light-heavyweight title.

Preston’s Matty Clarkson shook off a cut and boxed to an expert game-plan to win the fight at the Bowler’s Arena in Manchester.

A strong early jab ensured the earlier rounds went the way of the challenger. Wild’s midpoint rally was strong but all too brief as Clarkson took a 98-93 decision.

Chad Gaynor produced another powerful display to take out Kevin McCauley inside the distance. Thrybergh welterweight Gaynor, a regular sparring partner of Kell Brook, stopped McCauley in the third. A right-handed body punch sent the Brighton man reeling backwards and Gaynor took advantage before referee John Latham jumped in.

Gaynor now has two stoppage wins in a fortnight and seven from his 13 wins.

Also in Walsall, Doncaster’s John Anthony was disqualified for constant holding against Callum Johnson.