Kell Brook’s brave performance against Gennady Golovkin has given other fighters hope that the Kazakh powerhouse is not unbeatable.
Mexican Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. (49-2-1-1) was impressed by how the Sheffield fighter, normally a welterweight but fighting GGG in his middleweight division last month, landed before being withdrawn because of an eye socket injury.
Chavez now fancies the task, but at light heavyweight. He told Boxing Scene: “I think that I’m the only one who could withstand the punches of Gennady Golovkin. And I think that if I come in there in good condition – I think that I could even knock him out – because everyone already saw how Kell Brook hurt him and I am a much bigger fighter than him.
“At 168 lbs, it would be a great fight and much more competitive.”
Brook, resting up on holiday after extensive facial surgery, has been told by the IBF that his team must begin negotiations on October 26th to agree a potential fight with 21-win American Errol Spence Jr.
The Texas-based welter, who represented the United States at the 2012 Olympics, is a tempting target, although Brook may now prefer to campaign at light middleweight, instead.
At 154lbs Brook would earn more if his team could make a fight with Saul Alvarez.
He would also love the challenge of combat with the likes of Amir Khan or Miguel Cotto.
* Meanwhile another former Olympian, South Yorkshire-based Cameroonian Serge Ambomo, 30, has lost his unbeaten tag.
On Friday, the Stefy Bull brawler was outpointed in an eight-rounder by James Metcalf at the Greenbank Sports Academy, Liverpool.
Metcalf moved his record to 14 straight wins at light middleweight.
Metcalf, 28, had the burly African down in the third round and was handed a 78-75 decision by referee Darren Sarginson.
A defeat might actually help Ambomo’s career - others may now fancy a crack at him when they had previously avoided him.