LATEST: Brook’s opponent confirmed as Hatton - WATCH THE PRESS CONFERENCE

World title contender Kell Brook will take on British rival Matthew Hatton in a high-profile ‘War of the Roses’ battle.

The 25-year-old Sheffielder will fight European welterweight champion Hatton in an intriguing clash at the 13,500-capacity Sheffield Arena in his native Sheffield on March 17.

Boxing: Reports and news.

Boxing: Reports and news.

Brook, who is highly ranked by the four major governing bodies, is on the verge of a world title shot this year having stepped up in class in 2011.

Victory against Hatton - who lost gallantly but comprehensively in a WBC light-middleweight challenge against Saul Alvarez last year - should finally earn him his own long-awaited title shot.

Hatton, meanwhile, has ambitions of his own and is looking to secure the chance to emulate older brother Ricky by becoming a world champion himself.

Promoter Eddie Hearn, who confirmed they are planning to set the venue up to hold 9,000 people, said at a press conference today: “This is exactly the kind of fight we want to start making in this country.

“It is a fight that captures the imagination. Kell is coming along at the perfect rate with the perfect fights and this will build into a huge event for British boxing.”

After establishing himself as a draw in his home city with two impressive wins at smaller arenas, before making his American debut last month, Brook (26-0, 18KOs) will aim to confirm his box office appeal by stepping up to top the bill at the large Sheffield venue.

“When Eddie said to me that this fight was on the table I just started smiling,” Brook said.

“It has been a long time coming so I’m pleased.

“I want to separate us as number one and two in Britain. Matthew thinks he should be number one so that’s why I’m happy, I’m pleased to be able to prove it is me.”