Sheffield United could raid the transfer market after losing the battle for Kevin McDonald’s services, writes James Shield.
David Weir, the South Yorkshire club’s manager, insisted their business was “99 per cent done” earlier this month following Lyle Taylor’s arrival from Falkirk.
But The Star understands that the former Scotland international and his backroom staff have drawn-up a list of potential targets despite insisting they already possess players capable of filling the void created by McDonald’s departure.
Weir confirmed there are “unlikely” to be any new arrivals before tomorrow’s visit of Colchester but said: “We’ve got a few things in the pipeline. There are a few things we’re looking at so it’s just a case of finding out what might be possible and what’s not.”
McDonald scored during United’s victory over Notts County on the opening weekend of the new season but missed last weekend’s defeat at Brentford after League One rivals Wolverhampton Wanderers triggered a release clause in his contract.
A lengthy medical and United’s decision to table a counter offer of their own meant the midfielder’s future was not resolved until Wednesday.
“Of course it’s a shame to lose Kevin because he’s a quality player,” Weir said. “But he’s not the only quality player we’ve got here.”
Meanwhile, Colchester manager Joe Dunne has ordered his team to treat United as equals. The visitors have lost their last two outings at Bramall Lane and Dunne said: “I’ve been on that team bus up to Sheffield for the last two games and it’s been disappointing each time.
“I know the past reasons why we have failed and I certainly don’t want it to just be another ‘big day out.’ I’m sick and tired of just having big days out at Sheffield United.”