Match Report: Sheffield Wednesday 0 Hull City 0

editorial image

The Owls wrapped up their week-long stay in Portugal with a 0-0 draw against Premiership Hull at the Estadio Municipal De Albufeira on Saturday.

The friendly encounter spawned few chances, the best of which fell to Wednesday when Jeremy Helan slotted goalwards after rounding Hull keeper Alan McGregor but Alex Bruce cleared off the line.

Elsewhere, there was little action of note from what was a pedestrian pre-season encounter.

As expected, Dave Jones shuffled his pack for the Tigers test. Michail Antonio started up front alongside Jermaine Johnson, while Paul Corry came in to partner Rhys McCabe in the engine room.

Former Hull man Anthony Gardner returned to the heart of the defence and assumed captaincy duties from Martin Taylor.

Tigers boss Steve Bruce elected to keep loan signing Danny Graham on the bench while fellow new recruit Steve Harper was also a substitute.

It was the Wednesday defence called into action first, on 20 minutes, following an incident-free opening, with Chris Kirkland smartly off his line to deal with the danger when Matty Fryatt was a whisker away from getting something on Robert Brady’s drilled cross.

Robert Koren then stung the hands of the Owls keeper from an angled drive as Hull looked the more likely in the final third.

That was until the 38th minute when Wednesday broke and almost took the lead.


slipped a neat through-ball to Helan and the former Manchester City man cleverly rounded McGregor only for ex-Owls loanee Bruce to intervene at the last.

The second half started with spicy challenges from the Tigers and Fryatt saw yellow for a late tackle on McCabe.

Moments later, Fryatt was again at the centre of the action, this time seeing a penalty claim waved away after tangling with trialist Kamil Zayatte in the box.

Both sides made a raft of substitutions as the second half went on, which predictably took the sting from the game.

More important, though, for Wednesday was game time for the players, who flew back to England on Sunday morning to continue their preparations for the big Championship kick-off on August 3.

The rhythm of the match altered with the changes and almost all of the possession through the second period was played out in the middle of the park.

Both goalkeepers were practically spectators as the clock ran down, with opportunities in front of goal at a premium.

But the order of the day was another workout for the players after the close-season recess and, to that end, it was mission accomplished for the Owls and the Tigers ahead of the new campaign.

Owls: Kirkland, Palmer, Gardner (Llera 50), Zayette, Mattock, Prutton, Corry (Coke 70), McCabe (Semedo 70), Helan, J Johnson (Madine 50), Antonio (Maguire 60).