ROTHERHAM United chairman Tony Stewart last night confirmed that a fresh bid from the Owls for Adam Le Fondre has been rejected.
Stewart said that the offer was for an initial £100,000 plus further payments and could not be taken seriously.
The Millers - who snubbed an Owls bid for the 24-year-old earlier this month - are sticking by their valuation of at least £500,000 down, plus add-ons. The Star understands that Wednesday’s latest bid would, when future payments are taken into account, be worth a potential £400,000.
The Owls view it as a reasonable offer for the League Two striker whose contract runs out next year.
But Stewart, owner of a lighting company, told The Star: “I looked at it and laughed. It wasn’t serious. It wasn’t enough. As a businessman, I don’t want anybody trying to take me to the cleaners; £100,000 is less than we paid Rochdale for the guy.
“All I am saying to any club if they want Alf is to come to us and get real.” Gary Megson also confirmed last night that Le Fondre was one of the two strikers for whom Wednesday have made bids within the last two days.
Megson had said earlier, without naming the clubs or the players, that offers for two targets had been made on Monday. The other player involved could be Norwich’s Cody McDonald. Wednesday were put off him earlier this month by a price tag of £600,000.
The Owls have also been linked with Leicester’s Martyn Waghorn. But that looks a non-starter as the Foxes want to recoup most of the £2m that he cost from Sunderland.
In making the two confirmed offers, Wednesday’s intention was to sign one of the players, not both.
Before the Le Fondre confirmation, Megson had said: “We will push as much as we can. Milan (Mandaric) and Paul (Aldridge) will try their best to get the right player in at the right price for us.
“We have made what I consider to be really good offers for players who are in the last year of their contracts. I don’t think the clubs will get that kind of money again for them.”