Sheffield Wednesday 1-2 Charlton Athletic FT

Charlton Athletic's Lawrie Wilson and Sheffield Wednesday's Liam Palmer (right) during the FA Cup Fifth Round match at Hillsbrough, Sheffield. Photo: Lynne Cameron/PA Wire.
Charlton Athletic's Lawrie Wilson and Sheffield Wednesday's Liam Palmer (right) during the FA Cup Fifth Round match at Hillsbrough, Sheffield. Photo: Lynne Cameron/PA Wire.

Sheffield Wednesday were hoping to send the city into pre-derby countdown tonight - but it was not to be.

A win over fellow Championship side Charlton Athletic in the rearranged FA Cup fifth-round tie at Hillsborough would have seen them play Sheffield United in the next round.

But a goal in each half from the visitors ended the dream derby date.

Wednesday head coach Stuart Gray had made six alterations to the Owls team who defeated Huddersfield Town last weekend.

Damian Martinez, Glenn Loovens, Chris Maguire, Giles Coke, Leon Best and Benik Afobe were recalled.

Out went Chris Kirkland, Oguchi Onyewu, Jeremy Helan, Atdhe Nuhiu, Michail Antonio and Sam Hutchinson.

Wednesday began nervously and were fortunate not to fall behind in the 11th minute after Callum Harriott skipped past Liam Palmer on the right flank and picked out Astrit Ajdarevic, who was unmarked in the centre.

His low shot was initially blocked by Miguel Llera but the hosts failed to clear their lines and the attacking midfielder got a second bite at the cherry. Luckily for Wednesday, Ajdarevic’s strike deflected narrowly wide.

On 21 minutes, Charlton deservedly opened the scoring through the lively Harriott.

He lashed in an unstoppable left foot drive from 12 yards out after Wednesday had blocked Ajdarevic’s attempt.

Harriott and Simon Church then combined well to feed Jordan Cousins and he forced Damian Martinez into a smart stop at his near post.

There was a lengthy stoppage in play after Giles Coke hurt his left hand following a collision with Jordan Cousins.

The Owls medical staff heavily strapped up Coke’s hand and he was allowed to continue.

Wednesday threatened in the 38th minute when Gary Gardner, the brother of Sunderland’s Craig, unleashed a fierce shot from distance which was well held by Ben Hamer.

A superb diagonal pass by Miguel Llera was chested down by Leon Best and the striker, on loan from Blackburn Rovers, let fly but Hamer was equal to it.

On the stroke of half-time, Church dragged an effort wide after brilliantly side-stepping Llera.

Charlton nearly doubled their advantage three minutes after the re-start when Johnnie Jackson’s long range strike whistled inches wide following good play by Ajdarevic.

They were made to pay for that miss in the 57th minute as Best smashed in his first goal since re-joining Wednesday.

He fired home after Miguel Llera headed on Chris Maguire’s free kick.

Against the run of play, Charlton regained the lead in the 65th minute as Church headed in Jackson’s free kick after Llera had fouled Church.

With 17 minutes remaining, substitute Atdhe Nuhiu came close to levelling things up but his header from Maguire’s corner struck the post, went across goal and was well gathered by Hamer.

Wednesday piled on the pressure late on, with Hamer spilling Coalan Lavery’s centre.

Coke pounced on the loose ball and his goal-bound effort hit Best, who was standing in an off-side position.

The Owls continued to press and Nuhiu nodded over Maguire’s teasing corner.

It took a stunning one-handed stop by Hamer to palm Maguire’s rasping drive in added on time to safety as Wednesday bowed out of Britain’s oldest cup competition.

OWLS: Martinez, Palmer, Llera, Loovens, Mattock, Maguire, Gardner, Coke, Maghoma. Afobe. Best. Subs: Kirkland, Buxton. Onyewu, Helan, Lavery, Nuhiu, Hitchinson.

ADDICKS: Hamer, Wilson, Morrison, Wood, Fox, Ajdarevic, Cousins, Poyet, Jackson, Harriott, Church. Subs: Thuram-Ullen, Hughes, Dervite, Green, Ghoochannejhad, Sordell, Nego.

Ref: Mark Clattenburg (Co Durham).

Attendance: 24,607