SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY: £350,000 Sam Vokes desperate for his first goal

editorial image

BURNLEY’S Sam Vokes is bidding to get in on the act after seeing strike partner Charlie Austin score 11 goals already this season.

Former Wolves forward Vokes goes into tonight’s game against the Owls looking for his first goal since his £350,000 arrival from Molineux in the summer.

“I’m desperate to get my first goal, as is always the case at a new club,” he said. “Hopefully it will come soon. I just want to get that first goal, get it ticked off and then take it from there. When you get the first one they all come after. It’s just getting that first that’s important.”

Vokes enjoys playing alongside Austin: “He’s playing well every time he turns out. As a striker you need the goals to lift your confidence. We work closely together on the training ground.”

The 22-year-old counts Sheffield United among the clubs for whom he played on loan while he was a Wolves player. The others were Brighton, Norwich, Bristol City and Leeds.

Defender Ben Mee scored in Saturday’s 2-2 draw with Millwall and is keen for Burnley to sign off with two wins before the international break. They play Crystal Palace away on Saturday, while the Owls face Hull at Hillsborough, ahead of a fortnight’s lay-off.

While Wednesday are reflecting on the controversial refusal of a penalty for an early tackle on Michail Antonio at Wolves on Saturday, Burnley believe that a bad decision cost them a win against Millwall.

The were 2-1 ahead and appeared to have made it 3-1, as they celebrated a goal by Junior Stanislas, but long after the ball had gone into the net, it was disallowed for offside after a consulation between referee Craig Pawson and a linesman.

“It was a real killer blow for us,” says manager Eddie Howe. “I thought we were 3-1 up for a good period of time. Certainly the players felt the same way and the crowd did.

“I’ve never seen a decision like that in football in my life.

“It was very cruel on us because mentally you think you’re 3-1 up with a two-goal cushion, and the game’s potentially over.”

The final blow came when Darious Henderson equalised in stoppage time.

But defender Mee said: “We’ll come back again and hopefully put on a good performance.”