Carlos Carvalhal, the Sheffield Wednesday head coach, has expressed his delight over Keiren Westwood’s decision to extend his stay with the Championship club.
The 30-year-old goalkeeper committed his future to the Owls last week, agreeing a new deal which will see him remain in South Yorkshire until 2018.
Westwood was a revelation in the 2014/15 season, chalking up 17 clean sheets as Wednesday clinched a 13th-placed finish.
His impressive form led to the Republic of Ireland international scooping the player of the year award and was named in the PFA Championship team of the year.
Carvalhal told The Star: “It’s good news.
“We have been talking with Keiren for some time.
“It’s good when the player has stability. I know he’s very happy at the club. I know he likes Sheffield Wednesday and we like him. It means he can focus on playing after extending his contract.”
Westwood is a minor doubt for the trip to Burnley this weekend, having picked up a knock in training today.
“Keiren Westwood felt a little thing (in training but we hope it’s nothing special,” said Carvalhal.
Speaking to the press corps this afternoon, Carvalhal also confirmed captain Glenn Loovens and Sam Hutchinson have shaken off their injury problems. Only defensive midfielder Filipe Melo remains on the sidelines.
The Portuguese admitted: “It is just Filipe Melo who is out. He will be back in training soon. At the moment, we have a lot of solutions. It is more difficult for me to choose the 18 and eleven but that is good news for us.”