ROTHERHAM UNITED: Millers hit by double setback

editorial image

STEVE Evans is preparing to look elsewhere in the transfer market after the Rotherham United manager saw deals for two players fall through yesterday.

Discussions to bring in a new winger and a central midfielder have collapsed, admits Evans.

Of the wide player, the Millers chief said: “We thought a deal had been agreed for the young man to join us, but he arrived with his representative, we had a brief handshake and I left him with [chief operating officer] Paul Douglas.

”Paul has since told me that a deal could not be concluded in line with the numbers we are working to, so he has now left the building and hasn’t signed. Paul has told me that the numbers didn’t meet with what we had agreed and written down [on Monday]. He’s someone I still like as a player, someone I thought we could develop, but it wasn’t to be.”

Negotiations were at an “advanced” stage with the central midfielder but the deal is currently “off” too, says Evans.

Northern Ireland international Michael O’Connor has held discussions with the Millers, but The Star understands the move is not imminent.

Evans wants a minimum of four more signings to add to the five he has already made.