With news that Sheffield city centre is about to gain two new cinemas, here’s a look back to the time when going to the pictures was the main form of entertainment. Here they are queuing round the block at the Hippodrome on Cambridge Street. Having opened as the Hippodrome Theatre of Varieties in 1907 it became a cinema in 1931 with a seats for 2,445 and a sliding roof on the auditorium providing ventilation during hot weather - hardly necessary at the time when this undated photograph from the archives was taken.
One clue is that the film on show, The Night Has Eyes, a horror thriller starring James Mason, was released in 1942.
The Hippodrome was demolished in 1963 two years before the Grosvenor House Hotel was built nearby where for some years there was a cinema complex on the ground floor, the Cineplex and then the Anvil.