Thirty Two, the fourth album from Sheffield indie rockers Reverend and the Makers, is out today and it really is alive – thanks to The Star, writes Graham Walker.
VIDEO: Press the play button to watch our video report with step-by-step instructions how to make the app work.
Hold your mobile phone or web tablet over the CD cover and you can watch exclusive video content appear, as if by magic.
Do the same with the booklet’s centre spread and see the band’s brand new music video, The Only One.
Fans first need to download a free Aurasma augmented reality app to their device, then search and follow the Reverend & The Makers channel.
First up, on the cover, front man ‘The Reverend’ Jon McClure sings a new song, Closest To Your Light.
The effect has been created by band friend Graham Walker, The Star’s digital editor, who even gets a thank you in the album notes.
“It’s amazing technology, We brought a dinosaur poster to life for The Star and Jon was blown away. He asked us to augment their CD and here it is,” said Graham, who led The Star team to broadcast the band’s Sheffield Winter Garden gig live last week.
He added: “In future we might be able to make the band pop up on the CD and play, like a Star Wars hologram effect.”
Jon, who has been playing fans’ homes in a pre-order promotion, said: “We’ve had brilliant support from The Star and all our fans. Looks like we could be top 10 in the mid-week chart.”
Full details how to make the Aurasma app work will be at www.reverendmakers.com and here, below.
Reverend and the Makers will perform a live set and sign copies of the album today (Monday, February 24, 2014) at the HMV store in High Street, Sheffield, from 5.30pm.
Follow these tips to download and get the Aurasma app working.
1. Buy a physical copy of the album, Thirty Two (out Feb 24, 2014)
2. Get on Wifi, 3G or 4G to download the FREE Aurasma app to your mobile phone or web tablet. Your device must have a camera feature.
3. Open the app menu, keyword search for the Reverend & The Makers channel and follow .
4. Return to the app’s camera mode, point your device at the CD cover, or centre spread, and watch it come to life. Ensure the entire image fills the app camera view in the clearly marked central target area, is well lit, with no reflections or shadows. Try taking it out of the plastic jewel case to avoid reflections, best viewed straight on. And be patient, it can take a few seconds to activate the first time.
5. When the video plays clock on it twice to fill the screen and you can walk away, watching it play on a loop. Click once on the video to take you to www.reverendmakers.com.
6. Keep checking your CD and other Reverend and the Makers images for more exclusive videos - with updates to follow on the band’s web site and on Twitter @Reverend_Makers.
* You need a good web connection to watch the augmented videos, so use Wifi where possible, as video streaming can use lots of your 3G and 4G data allowance. Get the bill payer’s permission and act responsibly.