A blue heritage plaque to recall the Blind Fiddlers of Sheffield, who last played 170 years ago in Paradise Square in Sheffield city centre, will be unveiled this weekend.
Members of the Sheffield Fiddle Society will perform in the square during the ceremony on Saturday at 2pm.
The plaque will go on a wall in the Georgian square where a pub called The Q in the Corner used to stand, and where musicians played.
Specifically, it will be in tribute to Samuel Goodlad, a musician and philanthropist, who encouraged local blind musicians to form an organisation that demanded “high standards of musical expertise”. The Rotary Club of Sheffield is commemorating a number of famous local people with blue plaques.
The one for Samuel Goodlad, 1740 to 1790, was paid for by Sheffield’s traditional music community, and reflects on the Blind Fiddlers’ “continuing influence”.
They met in Paradise Square until the 1840s.
The blue plaque will go on a chartered surveyors’ building.