The Blind Fiddlers of Sheffield are to be remembered 170 years after they used to play in Paradise Square in Sheffield city centre.
A blue heritage plaque is due to be installed on a wall in the Georgian square where a pub called The Q in the Corner used to stand, and where the musicians used to play.
Specifically, the plaque will be in tribute to Samuel Goodlad, a musician and philanthropist, who encouraged local blind musicians to form an organisation that demanded “high standards of musical expertise”. Council permission for the plaque to go on a listed building was granted to the Rotary Club of Sheffield, which is commemorating a number of famous local people with blue plaques.
The one for Samuel Goodlad, 1740 to 1790, was paid for by Sheffield’s traditional music community, and reflects on the Blind Fiddlers’ “continuing influence”.
They met in Paradise Square until the 1840s.
The plaque will go on a chartered surveyors’ building.