Jail for death crash passenger

Nizamul Hoque
Nizamul Hoque

A TEENAGER who encouraged a driver to scare a group of youths with his car, leading to the death of an 18-year-old Sheffield student, has been locked up for almost two years.

Abdulla Awil Mohammed, from Burngreave, died of catastrophic head injuries when a car careered into him and fellow young Somalis on Coleridge Road, Darnall, in March.

The civil engineering student was hit on the head and killed by a road sign which toppled over when the red Kia Picanto, driven by Aminur Rahman, 20, mounted the pavement and ploughed into it.

Sheffield Crown Court heard rear seat passenger Nizamul Hoque, aged 19, of Willow Drive, Darnall, had encouraged Rahman to scare the group and accompanied him on drives around the area to look for young Somalis.

Judge Mr Justice Treacy sentenced Hoque to 22 months in a young offenders’ institute. He told him: “You were part of an unlawful plan which you realised may well have involved the use of the car, and which a moment’s reflection would show carried a risk of serious injury to others.”

Last week Rahman, of Jubilee Road, Darnall, was jailed for eight years for the manslaughter of Abdulla.

On the day of the tragedy, groups of Somalis from Burngreave and Pitsmoor travelled to Darnall to seek out a Bengali teenager who had been involved in fights.

Disorder broke out on Nidd Road East when Somalis tried to force their way inside a house where a Bengali family was mourning the death of their elderly grandfather.

The judge told Hoque: “You and your friends in the car were angered by such conduct, and this is why you were driving around at the time of the fatal collision.”

Hoque received a text message from the front seat passenger, Mohammed Kahar, saying: “Hurry up - we know where they are.”

James Curtis QC, defending, said Hoque was remorseful, and was the first person to call 999 after the crash.

Mr Curtis described Hoque as a ‘frightened boy’, adding: “He is the bit-part player.”

Hoque admitted violent disorder.

He tried unsuccessfully to change his plea to not guilty after Kahar was acquitted of manslaughter by a jury.