Mastermind of drug ‘shop’ operation jailed for 20 years

editorial image

A SHEFFIELD drug dealer who ran a 24-hour drugs “shop” that generated £700 a day has been jailed for 20 years.

Aly George Anderson, aged 54, described by police as a “major player” in Sheffield organised crime, was in charge of a sophisticated crack and heroin den at Sheffield Lane Top.

He was brought to justice after as a result of officers investigating a murder outside the house.

Police said class A drugs were dealt at the premises in Swanbourne Road from a specially-adapted garage, guarded by pit bull terriers and fitted with reinforced steel doors.

Watched by CCTV, addicts put their money into a special tube, then dealers delivered the drugs through another tube.

At Sheffield Crown Court, Judge Peter Kelson QC described Anderson as a “professional criminal” who made “fat profits” and said his offending was at the “upper end” of the scale.

Anderson denied conspiracy to supply drugs and benefiting from the proceeds of crime - and even tried to blame the operation on his 32-year-old son, Antonio - but he was convicted by a jury, and sentenced to 20 years.

After the case, temporary Det Chief Insp Jade Brice said: “Anderson was a major player who was operating a busy outlet, running 24/7. He caused a great deal of disruption and disturbance in the community.

“The Chinese takeaway next door was forced to shut down because customers were in fear of the activities taking place on the street.

“This conviction and the removal of that enterprise will make a massive difference to the quality of life for people in the area.”

DCI Brice added it will also “cause serious disruption to one of Sheffield’s major organised crime groups”.

Anderson has convictions dating back to the 1970s, for offences including dishonesty and drugs.

The Lane Top operation came to light after the fatal stabbing outside the premises of father-of-three Damian Taff, aged 29, in September last year.

Crack addict Benjamin Grant was handed a life sentence and ordered to serve a minimum of 27 years for the murder. Three others were jailed for their involvement.

Antonio Anderson, of Parson Cross, was jailed for seven years and nine months after being found guilty of conspiring to supply drugs and perverting the course of justice.

His father was in Spain at the time of the murder, but officers arrested him when he returned to Sheffield, just over a week after Taff’s death.