Mum and daughter stabbed 100 times by ‘Son of God’ killer

Rekawt Salih, who killed mother and daughter Tracy and Louise Donnelly.
Rekawt Salih, who killed mother and daughter Tracy and Louise Donnelly.

A PARANOID schizophrenic who told medics he was the ‘Son of God’ has been locked up in a secure hospital indefinitely after he knifed a mother and daughter over 100 times in a ‘frenzied and brutal’ attack.

Tracy Donnelly, aged 42, and her daughter Louise, 23, were attacked by Rekawt Salih, aged 25, in the living room of their home at Ironside Road in Gleadless.

Sheffield Crown Court heard Salih - who may never be freed - killed Louise first before turning on his partner Tracy.

She died screaming for help from her teenage son Ashley, who was asleep upstairs at the time. The women’s bodies were discovered the next morning by Ashley, 18. His four-year-old brother Daniel, Salih’s son, had been sleeping on the sofa at the time of the stabbings.

Both women suffered horrific injuries. The knife pierced Tracy’s left lung and the blade was thrust into Louise’s skull so forcefully the tip broke off.

Afterwards Salih ran from the house barefoot, fleeing in his BMW which he later crashed into a group of students on Fornham Street, near The Leadmill.

Police used a taser to subdue Salih when he was arrested following a high-speed police chase through Sheffield city centre.

In hospital he repeatedly told medics he was ‘the son of God’.

Judge Mr Justice Treacy said Salih posed ‘a very high risk of serious harm’, adding: “It will be hard to envisage a time when you would not be a risk to the public, and it may well never be safe to release you.”

After the sentencing, Maureen Donnelly, Tracy’s mother and Louise’s grandmother, said: “Two generations of my family have been taken away in the most terrible way imaginable. I take satisfaction from knowing that the person responsible for their deaths will not be able to hurt anyone else.”

Alistair MacDonald QC, prosecuting, said that Salih ‘hated’ Louise, and had been abusive and violent towards her and Tracy in the past.

Louise reported Salih to the police when he slapped and kicked her in 2008.

Mr MacDonald said Tracy and Salih had been in a ‘long-term but unstable’ relationship, and only got together again around a week before the killings on March 29.

“Various neighbours report they heard screams from the house in the early hours of the morning,” he said.

He said one neighbour heard a woman, believed to be Tracy, shouting the word ‘Ashley’ before the house fell silent. Forensic examinations found Tracy had probably tried to help her daughter and had knelt in a pool of blood after the attack.

The court heard just before the killings at around 1am, a man called Aziz Hosseini was threatened near his home by Salih, who was holding an eight-inch knife and a screwdriver.

He said Salih also had a small gun in his right hand, and told him he was having problems with his girlfriend before slashing two of Mr Hosseini’s car tyres.

On arrest, Salih was found screaming and shouting at the wheel of his car, and police used a Taser to subdue him. A knife was found in the footwell, and the seats were bloodstained.

Salih, who had a history of cocaine and alcohol abuse, was under the care of the NHS early intervention service at the time of the tragedy, but had stopped taking his medication.

He admitted manslaughter on the grounds of diminished responsibility, as well as dangerous driving.

He will be detained under the Mental Health Act at the maximum-security Rampton hospital.