News In Brief: Residents escape fire in their homes

A FIRE which started in a flat on Cypress Avenue, Norton, Sheffield, was sparked when cooking was left unattended.

Two crews from Mosborough and Lowedges stations went to the flat at 8am on Saturday.

The resident, a man in his 50s, was not hurt in the fire.

Crews were also called out to a house in Intake, Doncaster, after a tumble dryer overheated. Officers from Doncaster station attended the property in Bruce Crescent after the appliance caught fire in a garage at about 10am on Sunday. No-one was injured.

Arson destruction

A HONDA 4x4 was set alight by Christmas Day arsonists on Marlowe Road, Herringthorpe, Rotherham. Another car was set ablaze on Eaming View, Barnsley at 6pm on Christmas Eve. A vehicle was torched at 9.30pm on Wednesday, in woods off Barrowfield Road, Thurnscoe, where it had been left after being involved in a crash. A car was set ablaze in Radburn Road, Rossington, at 12.30am on Sunday, and a saloon car was wrecked on Linden Road, Creswell, on Wednesday.