Rapist jailed for terrifying attack on Sheffield student in city park

editorial image

A rapist who stalked his victim as she walked home from a night out before dragging her into a Sheffield park has been jailed for nine years.

Jamie Seaton, aged 25, struck as his victim, who was 18 at the time, was just seconds away from home.

He had followed her for 40 minutes as she walked from West Street to Endcliffe after becoming separated from friends on a night out.

Seaton placed her into a headlock and dragged her into Endcliffe Park, where she was initially pinned against a wall and verbally insulted before she was thrown onto the ground and attacked.

The menacing rapist, of Burrowlee Road, Owlerton, placed his hands over his victim’s mouth to silence her and threatened to drown her or hunt her down if she reported him.

He also threatened to take the University of Sheffield student back to his flat, where he claimed he had 10 men waiting.

Sentencing Seaton, Judge Sarah Wright QC, said his actions that night were a ‘mystery’.

She said she had received references describing him mas a ‘man of good character who is a hard worker’.

“It’s a mystery why you would commit such a serious offence as this,” she told him.

The judge went on to say that in addition to the nine year prison sentence for rape and two assaults by penetration, to which he pleaded guilty, Seaton will be placed on the Sex Offenders Register for life.

She said his victim must have been ‘terrified’ during the ‘sustained attack’, which lasted for around 40 minutes, pointing out that she had suffered nightmares and flashbacks since.

Judge Wright stressed the victim must not blame herself for the attack.

Addressing Seaton, she said: “Your victim has suffered nightmares and flashbacks. She blames herself for walking home, she should not, for what happened to her you are to blame - not her.”

She added: “This prolonged attack must have been a completely terrifying ordeal for her.

“It has and will continue to have long lasting effects on her and those close to her.”

She said the stalking of Seaton’s victim, which was captured on CCTV cameras in the city, demonstrated ‘prolonged determination’.

“This was a sustained incident which came with it violence and threats of violence. Your victim was particularly vulnerable,” she added.

“You followed your victim for a considerable distance and then grabbed her and dragged her to a secluded location. All that shows a significant degree of planning.”

The judge rejected Seaton’s claim that he had little memory of the attack, pointing out that afterwards he arranged a taxi home, spoke to the driver en-route and went home and washed the clothes he had been wearing.