Shamed Owls star Madine jailed for violent attacks

Footballer Gary Madine arrives at Leeds Crown Court for sentencing. Photo: Anna Gowthorpe/PA Wire.
Footballer Gary Madine arrives at Leeds Crown Court for sentencing. Photo: Anna Gowthorpe/PA Wire.

Disgraced Sheffield Wednesday striker Gary Madine is counting the cost of drunken violence after being jailed.

The 23-year-old, who signed for the Owls in 2011, twice ‘lashed out’ when drunk on nights out with ‘little, if any, thought for the consequences’.

Jailing him for 18 months, Judge Rodney Jameson QC, said: “When sober there is no reason to suppose you would misbehave, but I have to sentence you for serious offences which reflect the other side of your character.

“The side which comes out when you are in drink, which causes unprovoked violence causing serious injuries to innocent members of the public.”

Madine, who has a previous conviction for knocking a man unconscious in a Carlisle pub, punched Wednesday fan Daniel Beresford in the Paris Bar, Carver Street, Sheffield city centre, in February last year - breaking his victim’s nose.

Four weeks later, he punched bricklayer and Sheffield United fan Reece Hall in the city’s Viper Room club on Carver Street, shattering Mr Hall’s cheekbone.

Madine, of Middlewood, Sheffield, was jailed at Leeds Crown Court after being found guilty by a jury following a week-long trial last month.

Madine, known by fans at Hillsborough as ‘the Goal Machine’, was jailed for six months for assault causing actual bodily harm on Mr Beresford and 12 months for inflicting grievous bodily harm on Mr Hall.

After arriving at court dressed in jeans, a hooded top and carrying a bag of belongings to take to prison, he heard his barrister, Alison Dorrell, admit he had thrown away his talent due to ‘drink, childish behaviour and a temper problem’.

She said he was ‘not an asset to his club any more’ and would struggle to re-start his career after serving a prison sentence.

However, Judge Jameson said other professional footballers had rebuilt careers after serving time in jail and there was no reason why Madine could not follow suit.

Madine, who used to earn £5,000 a week before his conviction last month, was ordered to pay £1,500 in compensation to Mr Beresford and £4,200 court costs.

His barrister said it would be ‘difficult’ for the footballer to pay, saying his wages had now stopped and he was struggling to pay the mortgage on the house where his family lived.

Sheffield Wednesday have not commented on Madine’s future with the club.

The striker signed from Carlisle United for an undisclosed fee in January 2011 and finished top scorer with 18 goals as the team won promotion from League One in the 2011-12 season.

Madine, who is originally from Gateshead, scored four goals last season and came on as a substitute in the first two games of this season but, with his court case pending, he never played again.