Sheffield cabbie ‘sex attack’ terror

News: Local, national and international news 24-hours a day.
News: Local, national and international news 24-hours a day.

A SHEFFIELD cabbie tried to ply two terrified female victims with drugs then drove them to deserted locations and sexually assaulted them, a court heard.

Zahoor Mahmood, aged 40, picked the girls up in his minicab in two separate incidents, then offered them crack cocaine and attacked them.

Fiona Swain, prosecuting at Sheffield Crown Court, said: “He had a sexual motive in mind.”

Jurors heard Mahmood, who worked for City Taxis private hire firm, picked the first woman up outside Club Xes, Carlisle Street, Attercliffe, on June 19 last year, at about 3.40am.

She had drunk two glasses of wine and 10 half pints of cider by the time she got into Mahmood’s cab.

Mrs Swain said she asked Mahmood to take her home, but he drove the cab to a deserted location.

There he poured white powder onto a flattened lager can and offered it to her saying: “This will chill you out and will get you in the mood.”

Mrs Swain said he got out of the cab, joined the woman on the back seat and started undoing her jeans.

The woman kicked him in the groin and bit his arm, then pushed him out of the taxi, closed the doors, climbed into the driver’s seat and tried to drive off.

Mahmood got back into the cab and then drove her home, saying he would not charge her for the trip.

The court heard he asked her not to tell anyone what had happened because he would lose his licence.

The victim was allegedly left ‘scared, angry, frustrated and terrified’.

Mrs Swain said that while in the taxi the woman rang the police.

She said Mahmood was arrested, but later released on bail - only to strike again.

Three weeks later, he picked up a 17-year-old girl who was walking home after a night drinking at a friend’s house.

He pulled up alongside her and said: “You shouldn’t be walking home alone, a pretty young girl like you.”

The girl said she could not afford a taxi fare, but Mahmood offered to drive her home free.

Mrs Swain said he had planned to take her back to a house for a threesome with a woman who he had previously had sexual relations with.

First he drove her to a deserted location, poured crack onto a flattened lager can, heated it, inhaled the smoke and tried to get the girl to do the same.

Then he stroked her upper thigh.

The court heard the terrified girl texted a friend, saying: “I am scared.”

Her friend alerted the police.

Mahmood, of Balfour Road, Darnall, denies two charges of false imprisonment and two of sexual assault.

Kevin Jones, defending, said Mahmood had undergone drug tests at the police station which were negative.

He said his cab was searched, but officers found neither drugs nor the flattened can.

Mr Jones said both women had been drinking.

The first was so drunk she was slurring her words and was sick on the journey home.

Mahmood said he picked the second girl up because she was scared and worried someone was following her.

The trial continues.

By Andy Bloss