A BRAVERY award has been presented to a man who risked his life by entering a burning house fearing children were trapped inside.
Delivery driver Ethan Maillard, aged 19, put his life on the line after discovering the blaze on Netherthorpe Walk, Netherthorpe, Sheffield, last September.
Ethan, from Wadsley, kicked in the door to enter the smoke-filled property and, once inside, he searched all the bedrooms.
When he discovered they were empty he was forced to come down smoky stairs to avoid flames which were spreading to the upper level.
Ethan, who suffered the effects of smoke inhalation, was awarded a Certificate of Appreciation in a ceremony at Mansfield Road fire station. Firefighters praised him for his efforts.
Ethan, who is a member of the Sheffield Life Saving Club and works for Morgan’s Courier Services in the city, said: “There was a fair bit of panic outside the house because people couldn’t get inside. I just acted on instinct and managed to get in to see if anyone was trapped.
“Looking back I’m proud of how I responded, and it’s great that my actions have been recognised in this way by the fire service.”
Group manager Mick Mason, from South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service, said: “Our advice is always to stay out of a property and to let firefighters deal with the incident but clearly Ethan’s actions on this occasion deserve to be recognised.
“His actions were not only very brave, but also of huge help to the arriving fire crews.
“A firefighter met Ethan as he was coming out of the house, and he was able to pass on crucial information as crews started their own search of the property.”
It is thought the house fire, last September, was caused by a faulty halogen downlighter in a wardrobe.