Sheffield woman ‘scarred for life’ in attack

Ruby Charles, who had stitches in her forehead, with husband Justice.
Ruby Charles, who had stitches in her forehead, with husband Justice.

A woman claims she has been left scarred for life after she was struck in the face with a brick during a row with wedding guests on her Sheffield street.

Ruby Charles, aged 48, of Fieldhead Road, Abbeydale, was left with a two inch wound on her forehead after the alleged attack.

Mrs Charles and her husband Justice, 37, said they were returning home after a shopping trip when they were confronted by the guests.

The pair claim they were verbally abused and Justice was surrounded by around 20 wedding guests, struck over the head and threatened with a knife.

Ruby claims a brick was hurled at her, which struck her forehead, leaving her with a cut.

They have reported the incident to South Yorkshire Police and Sheffield Council.

South Yorkshire Police have confirmed they are investigating the incident.

A police spokeswoman said: “We were called to a report of an alleged assault in Fieldhead Road, Sheffield, at about 4.50pm on Saturday, September 21.

“A 48-year-old woman had sustained a cut to her head and was taken to hospital for treatment.

“Enquiries remain ongoing and no arrests have been made in connection with the incident.”

Ruby said she spent the night in hospital following the attack.

She told The Star: “We pulled up on the street and there were hundreds of people at a big wedding – they told us we couldn’t drive up the road and that we would have to walk to our house.

“They then started calling us names and before we knew it between 15 and 20 had surrounded my husband.

“One of them came face-to-face with me with a brick in his hand and threw it at my head.

“There was blood everywhere.

“The doctors have said I will be scarred and will need plastic surgery.”

The couple won a deportation battle in 2011.

Justice had been due to be deported to Sierra Leone after immigration officials said they thought their marriage was a sham.

But he appealed and was eventually given leave to remain in the UK.