Teenager raped by stranger in Sheffield

News: Local, national and international news 24-hours a day.
News: Local, national and international news 24-hours a day.
Share this article

A TERRIFIED teenage girl was raped by a stranger who dragged her into a Sheffield wood – leaving her fearing for her life, a court heard.

The 17-year-old, who cannot be named for legal reasons, claims she was attacked in Scraith Wood, Shirecliffe, by a man who asked her the time as she made her way home alone from a party.

Liam Murphy, aged 34, of Holgate Close, Parson Cross, who denies rape, is accused of following the girl, grabbing her arm and leading her into woodland off Herries Road, where he allegedly ordered her onto the ground and attacked her.

When interviewed by police, his alleged victim claimed her attacker placed his hand over her mouth and told her not to scream.

Fiona Swain, prosecuting, said Murphy was identified by his alleged victim in an identity parade.

She told the court yesterday: “Murphy directed a woman he had never met before into some woods near to his home and raped her. There was no attempt to secure agreement.

“He secured compliance through her fear.

“He directed her into the woods knowing the woman he was with was not consenting.”

In her police interview, which was video recorded, the alleged victim said she did not attempt to scream because she was in fear for her life.

But she said she started crying as soon as her attacker grabbed her arm.

She said: “He didn’t hold it tight, but I just followed whatever he said because I was scared.

“I told him to stop. I must have let him do it because I was scared.

“I did not want it to happen, but I let it happen because I was scared.

“I asked him to stop, but he did not listen to me. I think he knew because I was crying and upset, but he didn’t listen to me.”

Jurors were told the teenager, now aged 18, had been at a party with her boyfriend in the Herries Road area, where she had consumed a cocktail of drinks, including wine and spirits.

They left together to go to another house, but the girl changed her mind and decided to make her way to her boyfriend’s house instead.

She told police her boyfriend walked her part of the way, but she assured him she would be ‘all right’ to walk the last stretch alone.

During her police interview, after alleged rape, she said: “I couldn’t talk, I felt disgusted, I just wanted to get in the shower.”

The trial continues.