Woman stabbed lover in the back

Prison: Vicky Moran-Healy, 37, was locked up by a judge.
Prison: Vicky Moran-Healy, 37, was locked up by a judge.

A VIOLENT partner who stabbed her boyfriend and left the knife sticking out of his back will spend nearly a decade behind bars.

Vicky Moran-Healy, aged 37, plunged a kitchen knife into Geert Delabie as they sat on his bed in the block of flats where they both lived in Ecclesall Road, Sheffield.

Sheffield Crown Court heard Moran-Healy pushed the 19cm blade into Geert’s back all the way up to its handle, puncturing a lung.

He could have died if the knife had caused any more internal wounds.

Judge Alan Goldsack QC said Moran-Healy, who started drinking aged eight, posed a high risk of serious harm.

He sentenced her to a 14-year extended jail term for public protection, including nine years in custody and a licence period of five years.

“It’s not possible at this stage to know when the risk may reduce,” he said.

Fiona Swain, prosecuting, said the couple had been in an on-off relationship for about three-and-a-half years. They were both alcoholics and lived in separate flats across the landing from each other.

Police had been called out more than 180 times to deal with complaints from the pair, including reports of violence as well as petty matters.

Ms Swain said the couple went shopping in Sheffield city centre on Tuesday, March 15, and soon started rowing before later catching a taxi home.

Geert helped Moran-Healy with some DIY in her flat, then told her he was going to walk his dog.

“She started shouting and saying he never helped her,” Ms Swain said. “Fearing a full-blown argument, he went back to his bedsit and locked the door.

“She carried on shouting, calling him evil.”

Concerned, Geert let her in, went to his bed and sat down, and Moran-Healy followed him, the court heard.

Ms Swain said: “She appeared to have calmed down and they spoke for a couple of minutes.

“He noticed her right hand was behind her back and her tone was becoming more aggressive.

“She made a sharp motion and he felt an immense pain in the upper left side of his back.”

Moran-Healy had used a knife from a block of five in her kitchen, she added.

“She held the knife in place and he thought she twisted it,” Ms Swain told the court.

Geert managed to reach his phone and called the police at 5.45pm. The knife was still in his back when officers arrived.

There was blood on Moran-Healy’s arm, but she blamed the stabbing on one of her family.

Ms Swain said the knife pierced the lower lobe of his left lung.

“Had it gone into any of the other structures Mr Delabie wouldn’t have survived the operating theatre,” Ms Swain said.

Moran-Healy was charged with attempted murder, but later admitted wounding with intent.

In a statement, Geert said he still suffers from flashbacks and now rarely leaves his home.

John Boumphrey, mitigating, claimed that Moran-Healy had been a victim of domestic abuse at the hands of her partner.

Consultant forensic psychiatrist Dr Gwilym Hayes said Moran-Healy had an emotionally-unstable personality disorder, and heard ‘voices and mumbling’.

She had 48 previous convictions, including one in 2008 when she pulled a knife on a man at a cash machine.