Doncaster father's torment over son's '˜mistake' which led to double death tragedy

A devastated father has told of his torment over '˜one silly mistake' - after hearing that his son was speeding before a horror crash in which he and his brother both died.

Tuesday, 5th April 2016, 3:37 pm
Thomas Isle, 18, (left), and brother Ashley Isle, 13, (right), who died after a car crash on the A18 on Saturday November 7.

Thomas Isle, aged 18, and his 13-year-old brother Ashley were travelling in a red Seat Ibiza when it crashed into two lamp posts in Dunsville High Street.

An inquest heard how Thomas, who was driving, had been overtaking other vehicles at ‘speed and erratically’ at up to 70mph in the lead up to the smash which claimed both of their lives.

The scene of a fatal crash on the A18 near Wyndthorpe Hall, Dunsville.

After the hearing yesterday, their heartbroken father Mark told of his heartbreak at losing two sons.

He said: “They were both cracking lads. They worked hard for everything. Thomas was a good lad - it was just one silly mistake.”

Doncaster Coroners’ Court heard that the siblings had left their home in Harris Road, Armthorpe, to pick up a takeaway from Hatfield on the evening of Saturday, November 7, last year.

Eyewitness Dean Fielding was driving behind the Isle brothers’ car and described the horrifying moment of the crash.

The scene of a fatal crash on the A18 near Wyndthorpe Hall, Dunsville.

The 44-year-old estimated the Seat’s speed as up to 70mph and added: “He tried to overtake a car in front, lost the back end, hit a grass verge and caused the car to roll. It was quite a shock.”

Other eyewitnesses told how they saw a “red car” being driven erratically and above the 50mph speed limit prior to the collision.

Robert Templeton, who was driving a Renault Clio, described in a statement how the vehicle had “narrowly missed” an oncoming car while overtaking.

He added: “There was concern for my safety as the car was being driven in an erratic manner.”

A number of motorists stopped by the roadside and called emergency services. Thomas died at the scene and Ashley passed away two days later in Sheffield Children’s Hospital.

A post mortem concluded they both died from multiple injuries. The report added Thomas did not have any alcohol or drugs in his system.

PC Jarrod Barton, crash scene investigator, said the vehicle had hit a grass verge, two lamp posts and rolled over.

The inquest heard that a week before Thomas had taken his car to a garage in York to be modified to boost its horsepower.

PC Barton said the speedometer was frozen on impact at 66mph but added this was “probably an underestimation of the vehicle speed.”

The inquest was told that Thomas had a problem with his power steering a few months earlier, but PC Barton said tests showed the steering was working fine at the time of the collision.

He said no other vehicles were involved and concluded: “The incident was caused by the driver’s speed and manner of driving.”

The court heard Thomas had gained 14 GCSEs and was studying agriculture at Bishop Burton College in Beverley.

In a statement, Mr Isle said: “Thomas was a fantastic son who was very close to his brother.”

He added he had always seen him as a “competent and safe driver.”

Assistant Doncaster Coroner Mark Beresford said the driving had been “at speed and erratic” and recorded a conclusion that the deaths arose as a result of a road traffic collision.