Family flees Sheffield home after cat is believed to have sparked blazeÂ

A family had to flee their home last night after their cat is believed to have accidentally sparked a fire.Â

Saturday, 29th December 2018, 8:18 am
Updated Wednesday, 9th January 2019, 1:52 am
Salisbury Road, Sheffield. Picture: Google

A man and woman, aged in their 40s, and a five-year-old girl fled when smoke started to fill their home in Salisbury Road, Crookes.  

Read More

Read More
Sheffield road sealed off as police deal with incidentÂ
Salisbury Road, Sheffield. Picture: Google

A fire caused damage to the kitchen and smoke had spread to other rooms when fire crews from Sheffield Central, Rivelin and Parkway stations arrived at about 4am this morning.

They spent about an hour tackling the blaze and the man was taken to hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation.  The woman and girl were said to be unharmed. 

A firefighter who attended said it is believed the family cat had accidentally activated one of the hobs on the cooker by either sitting or stepping on one of the buttons, which led to a fire.