Friend who fled to Pakistan responsible for Sheffield dad's murder

A drug dealer accused of killing a Sheffield dad said a friend who fled to Pakistan was responsible for the fatal street attack.

Thursday, 16th June 2016, 5:52 pm
Updated Thursday, 25th August 2016, 8:36 pm
The scene on Staniforth Road following the murder of Zubair Hussain

Irdris Sadiq denied any involvement in the attack on Zabair Hussain, aged 41, who was found dead in Staniforth Road, Darnall, shortly before midnight on New Year’s Eve.

Sadiq told Sheffield Crown Court yesterday that his friend and drug dealing associate, Sohail Khan, launched the attack on Mr Hussian alongside a man he did not know.

On the first day of his defence, Sadiq, 30, said he was picked up from home by Khan around 6pm on New Year’s Eve.

He said they returned to Khan’s house later in the evening and picked up another man, whom Sadiq did not know nor was introduced to.

Sadiq said that they three were en route to his house when they passed Mr Hussain walking along Staniforth Road. He told the court: “Sohail pulled over to the deceased and said ‘I want to have a word with you’.”

Sadiq said that Khan and the unknown man jumped out of the car and began arguing with Mr Hussain. The court heard Sadiq got out of the car a few moments later to ‘see what was happening’.

He told the jury that Khan took a baseball bat from the unknown man, but said he did not know where it came from. Sadiq said: “I was surprised Sohail had a baseball bat, I didn’t know he had one.”

Sadiq said Khan and the other man began attacking Mr Hussain, but said it was too dark for him to see how many times he was struck with the bat.

He said the two others began kicking Mr Hussain on the floor, at which point he intervened to protect the victim. Sadiq also said he was fearful of police seeing them.

Sadiq said he saw Mr Hussain fall to the floor and get to his feet twice. After the attack, Sadiq said he went out with other friends.

He said he has not had contact with Khan, who fled to Pakistan in the days after the attack, since that night. Sadiq said he had never sold drugs to Mr Hussain and did not know the reason for the attack.

Sadiq denies murder. The trial continues.