Payout for Sheffield victims of ruined holiday

editorial image

A Sheffield family who had their holiday ruined by gastric illness are among hundreds of people to share a £1.7 million legal settlement.

Michael and Teresa Proctor’s son Kelton, aged 12, and eight-year-old daughter Theona fell sick after an outbreak of gastric illness at the Holiday Village resort in Sarigerme, Turkey.

Their trip in summer 2009 was ‘ruined’ as they battled vomiting and diarrhoea, and were forced to stay inside for several days.

Michael, of Handsworth Avenue, Darnall, said staff at the hotel even advised the family not to seek medical advice.

He said: “They said we couldn’t go to the doctor because we would just be quarantined as they would believe it was foot and mouth disease. My son had constant sickness and diarrhoea, it was horrendous. Three days later my daughter got it too.

“We didn’t really have a holiday because it was either me or my wife looking after the kids. There was excrement in the pools because other people at the hotel kept getting ill too.

“When we were coming back everybody on the plane was talking about how they had got sick too.”

The family approached lawyers Irwin Mitchell after seeing their hotel featured on BBC show Watchdog.

Now the High Court in London has agreed a settlement which will see 160 children and 435 adults receive damages of up to £25,000.

Holidaymakers suffered gastric illness and infections including salmonella and E-Coli, with many telling of undercooked or uncovered food, dirty utensils and toilets at the hotel.

Suki Chhokar, a partner in the travel litigation team that represented those affected, said: “Clearly holidaymakers should not have been exposed to conditions like those that prevailed at the Holiday Village in Turkey and the entire legal team is delighted justice has finally been done for our clients.

“Many illnesses continued - some people have still not made a complete recovery more than four years on.”