Mum lied to police to cover up for son who drove at undercover officers in Sheffield

News, 24-hours a day, at
News, 24-hours a day, at

Two plainclothes police officers feared for their safety and that of others when a car was driven at them in Sheffield.

When the driver was eventually found he and his mother falsely claimed the vehicle had been stolen while they were at the city’s Meadowhall shopping centre.

Russell Tylicki, aged 28, and his mother Janine Tylicki, 52, both of Beacon Way, Wincobank, admitted perverting the course of justice, while he also admitted careless driving.

David Wain, prosecuting at Sheffield Crown Court, said the officers were on plainclothes duty in an unmarked car on Vauxhall Road, Wincobank, on Wednesday, September 17.

A car driven erratically by Russell Tylicki swerved on to the same side of the road and drove towards them.

Mr Wain said: “The officers moved out of the way and the car went back to the correct side and drove off.”

There was a short pursuit and the car was later found abandoned with a red T-shirt thrown away which matched Russell’s DNA.

His mother then reported the car, registered in her name, as stolen.

She said she had been at Meadowhall when the car was stolen.

However, police inquiries involving shops, CCTV footage and their number plate recognition system revealed it was lies.

Gurdial Singh, mitigating for the son, said the officers were uninjured and that ‘it was a spontaneous moment of stupidity’.

Richard Sheldon, for the mother, who lives on disability allowance, said: “She didn’t expect the matters to go this far.”

Sentencing, Mr Recorder Abdul Iqbal said the pair had ‘wasted precious police resources’ through their lies and Tylicki senior had shown ‘misguided loyalty’ to her son.

He was given a nine-month jail term suspended for 12 months, six months supervision and ordered to carry out 100 hours of unpaid work.

He was also banned from driving for 12 months under the totting-up procedure.

She was given a 12-month community order and told to attend a Together Women’s Project.

Both defendants were ordered to pay £300 towards prosecution costs.